Motor Insulation Tubing
Automotive customers look to us for a variety of spiral-wound tubes, PET, Mylar heat shrink tubing, Mylar heat shrink sleeving, plastic combination tubes. The primary function of such tubes is to
provide the electrical, mechanical, thermal, and environmental insulation necessary to protect the electrical connections in motors.
A more-complete list of applications for our automotive insulation products would include ...
- electric motor armature shaft spacers/insulators
- battery cable protectors
- heat shield dielectric barriers
- lead wire insulation
- coil forms (for starters/alternators)
- wire splice insulation
- slot insulators/liners
Our motor insulation tubes are made of a specially bonded and spiral-wound polyester, polyamide, polyimide formulation.
- ID: .026" to 2.000"
- Wall Thicknesses: .0015" to .012"
- Lengths: up to 36.000"
- PET NS (No Shrink) polyester outside/PET HS (Heat Shrink) polyester inside - PET HS polyester inside shrinks around the splice protecting the connection with an air pocket
- PET NS polyester outside/Nomex® and HS polyester inside - thermal upgrade (155° C), plus cut-through protection
- PET HS polyester outside/extruded polyethylene tube inside - designed as a lower-cost alternative to a heavy-wall (.012") all HS tube
- PET HS polyester outside/extruded Zytel (nylon) inside - provides superior cut-through protection
Features of our insulation tubes include ...
- low extractable levels - below 2% - making them ideal for hermetic applications (air
conditioners, refrigerators, etc.)
- ability to resist cut-through at splice connections
- ability to resist wear from abrasion due to vibration on crossover and lead-wire insulation
For more information on the materials, applications, and benefits of our motor insulation products, review and download our PDF Bulletin #S-19. Then contact PPG.